Department of Microbiology, Faculty of Dentistry, Mahidol University was established in 1970 by Associate Professor Woraluck Prachayabrued, the first Chairwoman of the department. All members of the department since then have devoted full-strength efforts to improve and advance their responsibilities assigned to reach the philosophy of the Faculty that’s corresponding to the University one. These responsibilities including academic curricula for undergraduates and postgraduates, as well as the professional services in laboratory and fields are currently conducted by seven academic staff with high qualification along with two scientific and one administrative assisting personnel.
As a working compartment of the Faculty, the department’s philosophy is to produce professional dentists with many desirable characteristics of leader in terms of microbiological and immunological knowledge, newly or locally invented or developed know-how practicable equally for treatment and good oral hygiene promotion in our community and the most import one of high morality; dedication; life long learning effort.
Becoming a national and international prominent dental academic department in microbiology, immunology and research community
The Department of Oral Microbiology is committed to academic excellence and the attainment of national and international recognition for the quality of its educational, research, and service activities in Oral Microbiology and Immunology, as well as related fields.
To reach the goal as an Academic Excellence institute of the Faculty, the Department strategic plans have been accomplished and described hereby:
• Provide instruction in Microbiology and Immunology with the highest quality for the educating and training of dental students at undergraduate, and postgraduate levels. Emphasis will be placed on fundamental principles and the essential knowledge necessary for life-long learning.
• Advance biomedical knowledge through active contribution to high quality research and other scholarly activities, particularly in Oral Microbiology and Immunology, Oral Biology and other areas dental sciences.
• Provide high quality service on laboratory diagnosis of oral infections and microbiological testing for dental material within the Faculty and external institutions.
1. Provide a high standard of academic curricula and training programs in Microbiology and Immunology in order to produce dental students with recognizable quality at the undergraduate and post-graduate levels.
2. Pursue and discover advanced biomedical knowledge through high quality research and other scholarly activities, particularly in Oral Microbiology and Immunology, and other areas of dental sciences.
3. Provide accurate and efficient laboratory diagnosis of oral infections and microbiological testing for dental materials within the faculty and external institutions.