About Our Dental School
VDO Presentation Mahidol University Faculty of Dentistry
A Brief History
Faculty of Dentistry, Mahidol University was named as "Faculty of Dentistry Phaya Thai"
On June 7, 1968, His Majesty the King enacted the royal legislative command establishing the "Faculty of Dentistry Phaya Thai" part of the University of Medical Sciences , to fulfill HM the King's desire to increase the number of Thai dentists to meet the country's demand . This new Faculty in the Clinical Research Building at 6 Yothi Street extended the educational services beyond the first Faculty of Dentistry located on Henri Dunant Street . March 2, 1969, HM the King graciously renamed the University of Medical Sciences as Mahidol University in honor of the King's father, HRH Prince Songkla Nagarinda, acknowledging his great achievement of introducing modern medicine to the Thai nation.
1973, the Faculty of Dentistry Phayathai was shortened to Faculty of Dentistry. Soon after, it has been officially called the Faculty of Dentistry, Mahidol University. Since its founding, 8 people have officially served as Dean. Professor Isara Yuktanandhe is the first dean and Professor Dr. Waranun Buajeeb is the current dean.
Dental School of Choice
Faculty of Dentistry for Thais
To produce and develop world class professional dentists
To be Thailand’s leading Dental School for Dental Education, Research, Healthcare Service, Academic Service response to all needs in Thailand and global with sustainable and advance operation
1. To improve the administrative capacity for organizational sustainability.
2. To use information technology for pushing all missions forward.
3. To utilize academic networks for producing quality outcomes of all missions.
4. To develop human resources for being a major force in driving the organization forward.
1. To continually develop the teaching process in order to keep pace with global changes, and put emphasis on the needs of learners.
2. To encourage lecturers and researchers to conduct more research work, in terms of both quantity and quality.
3. To improve the quality of tertiary dental care services andserves the society.
4.To improve the administrative capacity for advancement and sustainability.
5. To enhance close relationships among the staff for organizational success.
M = Mastery
-a possession or display of great skill or technique
-skill or knowledge that makes one master of a subject
-the upper hand in a contest or competition
A = Altruism
-unselfish concern for other people’s happiness and welfare
H = Harmony
-the way in which its parts are combined into a pleasant arrangement
-an interweaving of different accounts into a single narrative
I = Integrity
-honest and firm in moral principles (incorruptibility)
-the state of being united whole (completeness)
-an unimpaired condition (soundness)
D = Determination
-the power or habit of deciding definitely and firmly
O = Originality
L = Leadership
-the quality of being a good at leading an organization
-the set of characteristics that make a good leader
1. To produce quality graduates and dental personnelwho will adhere to high ethical standards of professional conduct.
2. To conduct dental research that meets international standards and be beneficial to Thais’ quality of life and social development.
3. To provide dental knowledge, academic servicesand high quality dental careto visitors and patients.
4. To produce and develop dental health information network as a learning center.
5. To reform the administrative systems for being more efficient, transparent, fair and accountable.
6. To apply information technology in research, academic works, social services and administration for more advanced and efficient systems.
7. To promote and encourage the culture of Mahidol University Faculty of Dentistry, and put emphasis on nurturing Thai culture and art for public interest.
Facts and Figures 2013-2014
The Emblem of the Faculty
The symbolic flowering plant
Scientific name: Nymphaea capensis var zanzibarien-sis. It is found growing abundantly in freshwater habitats in tropical regions of Africa. It is also called “Royal Purple”.
Color of the Faculty
Name :: Violet
RGB :: R109,G44,B144
CMYK :: C71-M100-Y0-K0
In 2009, Faculty of Dentistry, Mahidol University held a mascot naming and designing contest, and the winning design would be used as Faculty’s official mascot for promoting and publicizing Faculty’s news and activities.
The winner is Mr. Pirom Sukhajintanakarn who named his mascot “Denta” and “Dentie”, and it has been used as Faculty’s official mascot since March 2009.